Harvey T. Strosberg, Q.C.
Harvey is a senior partner at Sutts, Strosberg LLP. He practices almost exclusively in the areas of class actions and commercial litigation. Harvey has vast trial and appellate experience in the areas of class actions, negligence, personal injury, commercial law, product liability and insurance law. Harvey has appeared as counsel in more than 30 class action certification motions.
Harvey is one of the pioneers of class actions in Canada. From time to time, he is affectionately referred to as the “King of Torts”. He has recovered more than $1.5 billion for his class action clients.
Harvey was called to the Ontario bar in 1971 and became a Queen’s Counsel in 1982.
Harvey is the Editor of the Canadian Class Action Review. In 2004, Harvey established the annual Harvey T. Strosberg Essay Prize in class actions in the amount of $10,000.
- Civil litigation
- Class actions
- Corporate/commercial litigation
From 1997 to 1999, Harvey served as the 55th Treasurer (President) of the Law Society of Upper Canada. In 1987, Harvey was first elected as a Bencher of the Law Society by his colleagues, a position he continues to hold until today.
In October 2002, Harvey was awarded an Honourary Doctor of Laws degree (LLD) by the Law Society; in June 2003, an Honourary Doctor of Common Law (DCL) by the University of Windsor; and in October 2004, an Honourary LLD by Assumption University.
Harvey received the Law Society Medal in 2010 and the Ontario Bar Association Award of Excellence in Civil Litigation in 2011.
- Bencher (director), Law Society of Upper Canada, 1987 to present
- Treasurer (President and Chair of the Board of Directors), Law Society of Upper Canada, 1987-1999
- Recognized by Lexpert as one of Canada’s top 25 leading counsel
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, 1991
- Editor, Canadian Class Action Review
- American Bar Association Cross-Border Class Actions Task Force
- Canadian Bar Association Class Actions Task Force
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Essex Law Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- The International Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists
- Commercial Bar Association, United Kingdom