1. The law firms of Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP and Koskie Minsky LLP are prosecuting a certified class action against the Province of Ontario concerning the inhumane treatment of young persons under the age of eighteen who were incarcerated in provincial youth custody facilities and subjected to prolonged periods of solitary confinement.
2. On August 19, 2015, a report by the Provincial Children and Youth Advocate revealed that many youth were being held in solitary confinement for well over 24 hours. This class action alleges that the Province of Ontario breached its fiduciary duty and was negligent in the treatment of these young persons.
3. Justice Perell of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice certified this class action on December 17, 2018. A copy of the certification order is available here.
4. You are a class member if, while under the age of 18, you were placed in segregation for more than 6 hours between April 1, 2004 and December 17, 2018 at the following Ontario Youth detention facilities:
- Bluewater Youth Centre
- Brookside Youth Centre
- Cecil Facer Youth Centre
- Donald Doucet Youth Centre
- Invictus Youth Centre
- Justice Ronald Lester Youth Centre
- Roy McMurtry Youth Centre
- Sprucedale Youth Centre
- Toronto Youth Assessment Centre
The certified class does not include (i) individuals who were segregated by reason of lock-down at a youth detention facility; or (ii) the routine locking of youth in their rooms as authorized by statute.
7. If you are a class member and wish to opt-out, you must submit before 5:00 p.m. on April 9, 2019, by mail, email or courier, a completed Opt-Out form to:
Ontario Youth Segregation Class Action Administrator
Crawford Class Action Services
3-505, 133 Weber St. North
Waterloo, ON N2J 3G9
A copy of the opt-out form can be obtained from the Administrator’s website here (http://www.youthsegregationclassaction.ca) or by calling 1-833-430-7538 or 1-877-627-7027.
8. All class members should register using the questionnaire.
9. Please monitor this website as it will be updated as the litigation progresses.
10. If you have any questions, please call 1-800-229-5323, extension 296.
11. If you would like to know how a class action works, click here.
This website provides general information to class members on a class action commenced against the Province of Ontario. The information collected about class members will assist counsel in prosecuting the class action and assessing what damages were suffered by the class as a whole. Providing the information requested does not make you a client of Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP.