1. The law firms of Sutts, Strosberg LLP (now Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP) and Koskie Minsky LLP are prosecuting a proposed class action against the Province of Ontario concerning the inhumane treatment of young persons under the age of eighteen who were incarcerated in provincial youth custody facilities and subjected to prolonged periods of solitary confinement.
2. On August 19, 2015, a report by the Provincial Children and Youth Advocate revealed that many youth were being held in solitary confinement for well over 24 hours. This proposed class action alleges that the Province of Ontario breached its fiduciary duty and was negligent in the treatment of these young persons.
3. A timetable for the prosecution of the action will be set at a case conference in September, 2016.
4. The hearing of the certification motion is tentatively set for September, 2017.
5. All potential class members should register using the questionnaire.
6. Please monitor this website as it will be updated as the litigation progresses.
7. If you have any questions, please call 519-561-6218.
8. If you would like to know how a class action works, click here.
This website provides general information to class members on a class action commenced against the Province of Ontario. The court will ultimately decide who will be included as a class member. The information collected about class members will assist counsel in prosecuting the class action and assessing what damages were suffered by the class as a whole. Providing the information requested does not make you a client of Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP.