- The law firm of Sutts, Strosberg LLP (now Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP) is counsel in a proposed class action commenced in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice against Uber Technologies, Inc., Uber Canada Inc., Uber B.V. and Raiser Operations (collectively, “Uber”).
- The claim is on behalf of all taxicab drivers, owners and brokers and limousine drivers, owners and brokers who are licensed to operate in the Province of Ontario.
- The claim concerns the use of the Uber applications for the UberX and UberXL services to provide transportation for compensation to passengers by unlicensed drivers in contravention of the applicable municipal regulations and the Highway Traffic Act and Provincial Offences Act.
The plaintiff alleges that Uber and the UberX drivers conspired to provide unlawful transport for compensation which resulted in the class sustaining substantial losses.
The defendants brought a motion to remove Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP as lawyers of record on the basis of an alleged conflict. On September 19, 2016 Justice Belobaba dismissed the motion. His reasons may be reviewed here.
- The defendants have delivered a motion in writing for leave to appeal the decision to the Divisional Court.
- We encourage you to fill out the information requested in the communication page.
- Please monitor this website as it will be updated as the litigation progresses.
- If you have any questions, please call Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP at 1.866.227.9158.
- If you would like to know more about how a class action works, click here.