FALLING GLASS CLASS ACTION
1. The law firms of Sutts, Strosberg LLP (now Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP) and Charney Lawyers commenced three class actions with respect to falling balcony glass at three condominium developments located in Toronto, Ontario:
• Murano Towers located at 37 Grosvenor Street and 38 Grenville Street;
• Festival Tower located at 80 John Street; and
• One Bedford at Bloor, located at 1 Bedford.
2. The plaintiffs in all actions allege that the defendants are responsible to them and the members of the class for the lost use of their balconies and for the diminished value of their units.
4. On October 3, 2013, Justice Belobaba certified all three actions as class proceedings.
• Murano Towers - certification order and notice of certification
• Festival Tower - certification order and notice of certification
• One Bedford - certification order and notice of certification
5. To provide your information to us, complete a questionnaire.
6. Examinations have been completed in all claims. The evidence indicates that the cause of the glass failure results from impurities in the glass, edge damage and design flaws in the balcony guardrail system. We have incited the defendants to participate in a Mediation to try to resolve all claims by settlement
7. We will inform you of the dates on which Mediations will be conducted. However, if the defendants do not agree to Mediation we will ask the Court to schedule trial dates.
8. If mediation is not successful we will invite the court to schedule the trial of each action. We are hopeful trial will not be necessary, as the evidence is strong that the defendants will be obligated to compensate you for the inconvenience you have suffered.
9. If you wish to speak to someone for assistance, please call Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP at 519.561.6296 or Charney Lawyers at 1.416.964.7950, extension 246.
10. If you would like to learn more about how a class action works, please click here.
This website provides general information to class members on class actions relating to falling glass. The court will ultimately decide who will be included as a class member.
This website is updated from time to time to provide potential class members with information.