FALLING GLASS CLASS ACTION
For information regarding the One Bedford Class Action, please click here.
For information regarding the Murano Class Action, please click here.
Festival Tower Class Action
1. The law firms of Sutts, Strosberg LLP (now Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP) and Charney Lawyers commenced a class action with respect to falling balcony glass at Festival Tower located at 80 John Street, Toronto Ontario.
2. The plaintiffs alleged that the defendants are responsible to them and the members of the class for the lost use of their balconies.
3. On October 3, 2013, Justice Belobaba certified the action as a class proceeding. A copy of Justice Belobaba’s Order may be reviewed here.
4. The Class and Class Members are defined as follows:
those persons, excluding the defendants and their senior officers and directors, who owned and/or ordinarily resided in a residential condominium unit at the premises municipally known as 80 John Street, in the City of Toronto, during the period commencing on May 1, 2011 to and including November 30, 2012.
If you fall within the definition of a Class Member, you are automatically included in the class action unless you opt-outed of the class action. The time to opt-out of this class action has passed.
Settlement Approval Hearing
6. The terms of the settlement are based upon:
(a) payment per Unit over the Class Period without consideration of the number of persons living in each Unit or the size of a Balcony or any Balcony;
(b) the Owner(s) of about 80 Units signed Releases; and
(c) a damage award of about $1,200 per Unit whose Owner(s) did not sign a Release.
7. The Claims Period has commenced. Please visit the Claims Administrator’s website https://www.festivalsettlement.ca/ and file your claim online.
8. The deadline to file a claim is February 2, 2024.
9. If you wish to speak to someone for assistance, please contact the Claims Administrator at [email protected].
10. If you would like to learn more about how a class action works, please click here.
This website provides general information to Class Members on class actions relating to falling glass at Festival Tower.
The site is not designed to answer questions about your individual situation or entitlement. Do not rely upon the information provided on this website as legal advice in respect of your individual situation nor use it as a substitute for individual legal advice.
This website is updated from time to time to provide potential class members with information.