CANCER DRUG CLASS ACTION
1. Sutts, Strosberg LLP (now Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP) and McKenzie Lake Lawyers LLP have commenced a class action on behalf of all cancer patients who received incorrect doses of chemotherapy medications, cyclophosphamide and gemcitabine, between January 1, 2012 to and including March 28, 2013.
2. The defendants in the lawsuit are the pharmaceutical company which prepared and supplied the drugs and Medbuy, the group purchasing agent for the Hospitals.
3. On March 27, 2013, Cancer Care Ontario was advised that there was an error in the doses of cyclophosphamide which they received over the past year. Click here to review the explanatory memo from the President and CEO of Windsor Regional Hospital.
4. On April 2, 2013, the affected patients received letters explaining that they received incorrect doses of their chemotherapy medication. Click here to review the letter that the patients received.
5. On October 18, 2016, this action was certified as a class proceeding on consent, for settlement purposes. That means that the parties agreed to certify the action for the purpose of putting a proposed settlement into effect. As part of the settlement, the Hospitals were named as defendants as well.
6. The Notice provides a summary of all relevant information about the proposed settlement.
7. The deadline to opt out of the action has passed.
8. The settlement approval hearing was heard on January 10, 2017. Justice Verbeem approved the settlement and approved the request for fees. Click here for the Reasons.
9. If you would like to speak to someone at Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP about this class action, please use our toll free line 1.800.229.5323, extension 244.
10. If you would like to know more about how a class action works, click here.
This website provides general information to potential class members on a proposed class action commenced relating to certain cancer drugs. The court will ultimately decide who will be included as a class member.